Friday 10 December 2010

Random question Friday- Take 5 (sort of)


Today I have been mulling over my coming of age, in exactly 20 days I will hit the late 20’s bracket- 26. This may not be scary to some of you but to me this means a whole new tick box- I am no longer grouped in with the sprightly 21 year olds, farewell to 16-25 rail cards-hello expensive travel and if I was to study again I would be classed as a ‘mature’ student. It is a rocky road heading towards 30.
I really need to think about taking up the work pension scheme.

I sometimes work at a pub at the weekend and recently working out the year that an 18 year old was born scared me-1992- I clearly remember this year, I had the Twinkle album, was well underway with learning my times tables, had over half the collection of shiny pogs and I could ride a bike- all while people I am serving beer to were newborns.

This led me on to thinking about the top 5 ‘rebel’ activities I undertook in my youth (I know I am being slightly dramatic but roll with it, I am having a late 20’s crisis):

  • For some random reason when I was at primary school I told my best friend my hair fell out and I had to have it sewn back in! - No idea where this came from in my little brain or why I said it but it was only a few years ago I confessed to said friend that it was all fabrication!
  • Almost decapitating my brother with an electric window after he had told my parents I had used a grade A swear word- please note I do not have violent/anger issues I just pressed a bit too hard, honest.
  • Secretly dying my dark hair with sun in (some kind of bleach spray that developed with heat). The result- an orange, straw like barnet and a very upset Mrs B- beautiful.
  • Making lethal concoctions from the contents of my parents drink cabinet to drink at friend’s houses, parties and parks- I genuinely believe this helped build up the tolerance I have today. It always went a deep red colour and felt like it was burning my insides; we named it the magic mix- the memories.
  • Getting extremely drunk out on the town at the age of 16 which ended up with me tending to my friend in the bathroom who clearly hadn’t built up tolerance with the magic mix- she was sick in my face. Think she was subconsciously getting me back for the hair loss lie.
From this I think I can conclude that my true risqué rebel days started at uni!

Anyway I am now off to a work party with free booze from 3pm-8pm, only have 20 days left to act like a youngun, and so might as well make the best of these opportunities. (Potential blog material in the making)

No comments:

Post a Comment