Wednesday 16 February 2011

Betty and the Banker- Take 2



CONTINUED......(please read part 1)

Asked banker where he wanted to go he told me he had already pre planned where we would be heading for dinner- nice work organiser, I was impressed….until he led us through the town to the door of GBK. Now I am no snob or money grabber but I had a few issues with this plan:

1. The burgers are MASSIVE how on earth was I supposed to eat this with any kind of dignity? I had enough problems with the everyday knife and fork option with my wonky finger.
2. It is a restaurant that constantly makes an appearance on voucher codes
3. This guy earns a packet- his average bonus is more than I earn in a year and wasn’t shy in telling me (basically all he had spoken about the whole walk) why were we heading to an awkward to eat budget restaurant?!
4. I prefer Nandos

We sat down and after looking at all the tasty options I decided in order to best avoid obvious food spillage dramas I would have to opt for the vegetarian option- a giant mushroom pretending to be a burger- great.
He asked me what I wanted and after a slight look of disgust at my beverage choice of Savanna Dry he hot footed it to the counter where he proceeded to pull out a buy one get one free print out voucher- tight arse.

On return to the table banker continued with his money chat, finding himself hilarious with tales of his prediction of the credit crisis years ago and how he had actually benefited greatly from the downfall- really start to dislike this man and he had an ugly laugh with a sporadic snort.

Food arrived which instantly caused a huge pang of food envy- he had a burger piled with tasty treats, I had a big flat mushroom in bread. Take my anger out on the ketchup bottle which results in splash back on my lap-attractive.
Banker was now talking in detail of his second interest- Star Wars, this is beginning to turn into my absolute nightmare date, have a sneaky look around for hidden cameras, and unfortunately the conclusion is that this was in fact real.  

Following an extremely dull dinner with very little discussion on my part- I think I only spoke to let him know that he could tell me about the big bang theory if he wanted but I really wouldn’t listen, he went ahead and I true to my word zoned out, I did pre warn- we headed off to a bar. I was hoping that alcohol would maybe perk up this ridiculously dull/annoying situation.

After one drink we sat with empty glasses for an uncomfortable amount of time- I asked banker if we were having another drink or if he needed to get home. His response '‘Well I went to the bar and got the last drink so I really think it is your turn.'’ Holding my irritation I asked what he would like, his response ‘'a double JD and coke.’'

Now although I do believe in equality and do often offer to buy drinks on dates, this joker had been basically bragging about his earnings all night, surely I could at least be rewarded with a few drinks for listening to him bleat on? Also when he purchased the drinks he went for a budget pint of larger- what’s with the upgrade?

Most of my friends do tell me at this point I should have brought the two drinks, downed them both in front of him and then walked out without a word- I wish I had thought of this at the time.
Instead I stomp to the bar and remembering one of his rants from earlier on in the bar about girls drinking pints I opt for a pint of Hoegaarden which is served in a glass the size of my face, ask for his drink to be served in a small tumbler to make the impact even more effective.

Bang the huge glass down on the table and give Banker a sweet smile, he looked at me as though I had removed his carefully placed handkerchief and burnt it in front of his face (what I really wanted to do).
He drank down his drink in a record time of ten seconds not saying a word; I carefully slurped my giant beer holding it with two hands like a child with a beaker of milk. He no longer appeared to be talking, snorting or laughing- result.
Two seconds later he made his excuses and left me to my big beer, I called my best mate and we drank three more pints and a bottle of red wine- silver lining.

I refrained from contacting him again.
He did the same.
Not sure I will be dating a banker again

12 comments:

  1. Oh. Unfortunately my comment on part 1 was right? What an arse! Plenty more non-bankers in the sea though thankfully!

    Rapunzel x

    *Tales from the Tower*

    ReplyDelete
  2. He was indeed a banker wanker unfortunetely, my own fault for thinking i would be getting a nice meal I suppose. Still havent found my hands! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you may be the second person I know who had a voucher pulled on them at that place! Ahaha.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha was there date any more successful?!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh dear! Credit is due to you for not running away and sticking with it until he left!

    It's nice to see that I'm not the only one who seems to only date weirdos!

    Harry

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nope. I think GBK vouchers may be the kiss of date death! lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like a challenge Harry! Do wish I had down the drinks and left though- need to get quicker
    Yes Life bgins I don’t think it is the best date option at all, though do have to say I do enjoy the burgers when in non date company!

    ReplyDelete
  8. And if you're going to go for a veggie option at GBK, make sure you get the falafel burger - it is legendary! That mushroom one is appalling!!! 7-8 quid for a mushroom in a bun?!
    www.HarryTrident.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. It greatly upset me to go for the mushroom, figured the falafel would be just as messy as the meat- really wanted the spicy Mexican variety.

    ReplyDelete
  10. If I was there I would have burnt his handkerchief for you. Go fourth and be strong x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Vouchers are great - but NOT if you're a wanker, i mean banker! What a dick!

    ReplyDelete