Monday 29 November 2010

Ex villager


Struggling through the tube strike this morning (at one point I was stuck standing on one leg and got leg cramp- not enjoyable) I had a realisation that I have turned into a fully fledged Londoner.
Here are some of the crucial signs:

  • If someone stops walking on the escalator at the tube on the specific walking side I tut, tap my foot and crane my neck to take a look at who the culprit is- not sure what I think this will achieve but I do sometimes receive knowing looks from fellow Londoners and the odd head nod.
  • If the next tube is anything over 2 minutes away I am shocked and appalled- I pay over a grand for my season ticket how can they justify this slow service?!- please note I come from a village where there is a bus to town every hour, stopping at 7pm
  • I no longer think it is funny/odd that people fall asleep on the tube standing up and have actually been known to partake in this activity on the journey to work
  • I now know exactly where to position myself on the tube platform to be right there at the doors when it lands at my crucial stops- handy
  • I have an amazing dislike for big packs of tourists especially herds of school children all slowly going through the tube barriers with (hold rage) paper tickets
  • I have many conversations revolving around my journey into work and what a nightmare it was- how very interesting for the recipients of this chat
  • It has become the norm to have very little change from a fiver for a pint- when I journey to the North I rant on about how cheap the round is and regularly use the line- ‘you wouldn’t get that in London
  • I think an I pod is an actual complete necessity for London life- who can take on the creepy silence of the transport?
  • I have heard the tube driver on the district line quote his funny line of ‘wakey wakey rise and shine you have reached the end of the district line’ at least 3 times every week for 2 years- we must campaign for this to stop.
  • I have turned to online dating
  • I have witnessed a tramp blowing his nose without the aid of a tissue- more than once
  • I pretty much write an entire blog article around London travel –what has happened to me?!

5 comments:

  1. Very funny post, you describe Londoners very well.

    I live in the North myself but regularly travel to London for work.

    Keep up the good work, we need some humour now Fishy has deserted us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you :-) I am a southerner but I miss the North- much more friendly and inventor of the winning combo of chips and gravy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very funny, I think your comments mirror my life in London!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Baz, this IS my life! Hilarious and so so true! I'm glad that many of my observations made it on here too - but sad that I have to live them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. London life, got to love it!

    ReplyDelete